How to Tell If Marriage Makes You Richer or Poorer
"For richer or for poorer" is a vow many couples exchange, but can getting married actually hurt your career? Or do most couples have an advantage over their single colleagues?
The answer is a little of both.
"Marriage works as a two-edge sword," says Stephen Sweet, an assistant professor of sociology at Ithaca College in New York. On the plus side, there is often much stability to gain from tying the knot.
"Married people are better off than single people based on economic status, social status and happiness," Sweet says. "The economic gains of marriage can come from aligning yourself with another individual and increasing social capital."However, marriage vows' financial impact does differ by gender. "Married men make more than their single counterparts," says Adam Thomas, a research director of the Brookings Project on Responsible Parenthood and Unplanned Pregnancy. At the same time, experts say, a women's income may decline after marriage, because wives sometimes reduce the amount of hours they work and this could shrink their income. Are there some jobs where a spouse gets you ahead? It appears paired politicians, male or female, benefit from having a spouse. Of the 16 women senators, only three are unmarried. In 2007, 85% of Congress and 90% of all governors were married, according to Unmarried America. It may be "an asset to politicians from a public relations standpoint," Thomas says. "It probably helps from a photo op to have a family." In addition, there is a "mythological standard for politicians, and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV