How to Get Uncle Sam's Help With Student Loans
Instead of paying off your student loans, you can work them off with the government's help.
While most people know that the government offers various types of student loans, some may not be aware that Uncle Sam also offers graduates a number of ways to pay back loans.
By volunteering, or working in community-service positions, graduates can have their debt paid for, diminished and sometimes eliminated by the government.
Volunteering for the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps or the Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA), for instance, can earn graduates money toward their loan repayment.The organization may forgive 15% of a Perkins loan per year for the first two years of service and up to 20% per year for the third and fourth years of service, according to Molly Jennings Levine, a Peace Corps public affairs specialist. This means up to 70% of a Perkins loan can be paid for through service in the Peace Corps.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV