How Banks Make Money
The following is a transcript of "
Hello and welcome to Money Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for a Richer Life.
In today's episode, I want to talk about how banks work.
How Banks Make MoneyBanks make money by making loans. Depositors put money into the bank and the bank turns around and lends the money out to a borrower. The interest rate the bank charges a borrower is higher than the interest rate it pays on deposits. Banks make money off this difference, which is called the "spread."
Banks Lend Many Times More Than They HaveBut that's just the beginning. The amount of money that a bank can lend is actually much, much greater than the deposits in the bank. Banks lend out many times more money than they actually have. How much they can lend out depends on the reserve requirement set by the Federal Reserve. In the United States, reserve requirements are typically 10% of the total value of the checking accounts at the bank. A small reserve requirement magnifies the amount of money banks make from lending money. Think about it this way: If your bank has a 10% reserve requirement and you deposit $1000 in your checking account, the bank must keep 10% or $100, but it's free to lend out $900 at interest. The person who borrows that $900 will spend it and it will usually be deposited into another bank. Then that bank will do the same thing. It will keep 10% or $90 and then it's free to lend out the rest at interest, which is $900 minus the $90, or $810. This process is repeated again and again, and is called "fractional reserve banking." Each time the bank receives a deposit, it keeps 10% as reserves and can lend out the rest at interest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV