Housing's Roof Collapsing
There are fresh signs the housing market could be headed for total disaster.
Or check out Standard Pacific (SPF), a builder heavily leveraged to the California housing market, whose stock has dropped about 40% in five days on no new company news but a plethora of liquidity worries.
Falling housing prices, coupled with high consumer mortgage debt payments, are causing homeowner defaults and delinquencies to increase. This is leading to larger loan losses, which has hit homebuilders, mortgage lenders and large financial institutions like Citigroup (C) and Merrill Lynch (MER).The drop in housing prices is causing most of the pain. A report from real estate information firm Zillow.com released Tuesday shows that U.S. home values fell 6% in the third quarter, the largest decline in the last 10 years (since the firm began tracking the data). On top of that, nearly 16% of homeowners who bought houses in the past year now have negative equity in their homes, meaning they owe more than what their homes are currently worth, the report says. On Tuesday, Freddie Mac, the second-largest purchaser of U.S. mortgages, reported a $2 billion loss due to increased reserves for loan losses and impairments of existing loans. Freddie Mac is now facing a problem where it has to put aside money to protect against past loans, rather than put that money to use in new loan purchases.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV