High-End Audio Lives On
LAS VEGAS -- Believe it or not, there's still a thriving high-end audio business presence at the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show.
I say believe it or not because everything on the planet is being geared toward computer-based music systems.
This year approximately 100 hospitality suites in the Venetian Hotel tower are showing off some very expensive and great-sounding hi-fi gear.
I was privileged to hear some amazing-sounding loudspeakers, small and large, from DeVore Fidelity, Quad and Siltech. Just so you know, we're talking about products selling for $2,000 (DeVore Gibbon 3s) to $130,000 (Siltech Pantheons) per pair.I also got to listen to a few great amplifiers, CD players, digital-to-analog converters and some very expensive turntables and phono cartridges as well as a line of brand-new Dual turntables. In case you didn't know it, playing vinyl LPs is making a big comeback with today's youngsters. They think records sound better than MP3 files. At least someone is actually listening. If you like the way your music sounds after being squeezed, compressed and manhandled by the current crop of computer programs like Apple's (AAPL) iTunes, Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows Media Player or AOL's Nullsoft Winamp, then you can stop reading now. But, if you prefer your music files sounding like real music -- and think MP3, AAC and WMA files aren't all that good -- help may be on the way.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV