Google's New Foe: Hulu
Having announced the partnership in March, the media giants have finally put a homepage up on the Web, though no videos are available yet.
The page encourages viewers to enter their email address in order to participate in the Web site's private beta test, which will take place in October.
Also, it links to a message from the site's CEO, former Amazon (AMZN) exec Jason Kilar, who joined the site in June."Why Hulu?" asks Kilar, referring to the site's name. "Objectively, Hulu is short, easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and rhymes with itself. Subjectively, Hulu strikes us as an inherently fun name, one that captures the spirit of the service we're building. Our hope is that Hulu will embody our (admittedly ambitious) never-ending mission, which is to help you find and enjoy the world's premier content when, where and how you want it." Hulu also sounds uncannily similar to the name of YouTube's omnipresent owner, Google (GOOG), which has found its way into the lexicon of the English language amid the company's spectacular rise as the Web search engine of choice for the masses. Kilar also said Hulu would soon be offering programming through its distribution partners, Time Warner's (TWX) AOL, Comcast (CMCSA), Microsoft's (MSFT) MSN, News Corp.'s MySpace and Yahoo! (YHOO). Viacom (VIAB) is one media titan that is not participating in the partnership. It's fighting YouTube's dominance with a lawsuit over copyright issues. Hulu is expected to show full episodes of smash hit TV shows from News Corp.'s Fox network, like 24 and American Idol, as well as those from GE's NBC, like Heroes and Saturday Night Live.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV