Google on Track for Solid Quarter
SAN FRANCISCO -- Having doubted Google (GOOG) once before, only to be proven wrong, Wall Street has no doubts this time around that the tech giant will post solid second-quarter results Thursday after the bell.
"While we are optimistic about a strong quarter, we do not expect a material surprise like last quarter, which sparked a dramatic relief rally," according to Rob Anderson, an analyst for American Technology Research.
Cramer: Gotta Wait on Google
As usual, Google has not provided guidance for the second quarter, but analysts expect earnings of $4.74 a share on revenue of $3.87 billion.Analysts see strength from overseas, as well as improvements to Google's search monetization. At the same time, the company may continue to experience a decline in growth for paid clicks as well as revenue, tempering some of the enthusiasm for the stock. In the lead-up to the first quarter, analysts had been down on Google after the research firm comScore showed that the company's paid clicks -- the number of times users click on ads -- were flat in January. This came on the heels of Google's results for the fourth quarter, when it missed estimates and caused the stock to plummet almost 9% the next day. Analysts began lowering their target price on Google, anticipating more bad news in the first quarter and conceding that the economy had finally taken its toll. But much to Wall Street's delight, Google posted an impressive first quarter, soaring past estimates and pushing the stock up almost 20% the next day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV