Former Bear Stearns Executives Plead Guilty to Fraud
Two former investment bankers at Bear Stearns have pled guilty to mail and wire fraud in federal court in El Paso, Tex., according to a weekend media report.
Their pleas come as part of a federal corruption investigation in Texas that has implicated municipal bond underwriters, according to report, published in the The Wall Street Journal. The investigation already has yielded other guilty pleas from local elected officials in El Paso.
The two former Bear Stearns executives are Roberto Ruiz, who was a managing director at the company's Dallas office, and Christopher Pak, a former vice president at that office.
Federal officials have been conducting a broader nationwide investigation into bid-rigging in the municipal bond industry, the Journal report noted. However, the report added that it's unclear how the latest pleas in the El Paso case are related to other parts of the nationwide probe.Bear Stearns shares ended Friday down $1.47 at $89.95.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV