Five Businesses You Can Start for Next to Nothing
The best time to begin your own business is when you don't need the money. Most people don't look for a second income until they are faced with a financial crisis, which means their options are limited. Since they need money right away, they are forced to take a job that pays a salary, as opposed to starting a business that they enjoy but that may not generate income right away.
Another reason people are reluctant to start their own businesses is the often quoted statistic that 90% of businesses fail. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be any research backing up this number. In fact, research from the Small Business Administration indicates that two-thirds of new employer establishments survive at least two years, and 44% survive at least four years.
Furthermore, the way the statement is worded is quite misleading. Saying that businesses "fail" gives the impression that they couldn't make money to survive, but the reasons that business close vary widely. Statistics show it is often due to poor management or financing problems. However, businesses can also close due to lack of interest, the size of the workload, or simply that the owner found a better opportunity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV