Don't Save for Disaster -- That's What Dad's For
When I have advised in previous columns that people in their 20s shouldn't worry about saving money, I'm flooded with hate mail, some of it pretty nasty, some of it well reasoned. After upbraiding me for failing to understand "the magic of compound interest," the point most people make is that people need to save in order to prepare for the worst.
What happens if your car breaks down and you need money to get it running again? What happens if you lose your job and need to support yourself? What happens if you get arrested and need to bail yourself out of jail?
If you get in trouble and need to bail yourself out, the last thing you want is to spend your own money. The best way to avoid that is to make sure you can't afford to fix whatever the problem is. Young people are better positioned to pass off the cost of emergencies than any other group.
I'm sure some of you are saying, "Here he goes again, another facetious column about why you should behave irresponsibly, and this one probably won't even make
|Want more? Check out TheStreet.com TV video. Cliff Mason tells Farnoosh Torabi why an emergency savings account does you no good in your 20s.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV