Delta Adds Continental to Merger Options
Updated from 6:07 p.m. EST
Those talks so far have been preliminary, and have not advanced as far as merger discussions with Northwest (NWA), according to a person familiar with the situation. However, discussions with Northwest appear to have hit snags, including issues involving the leadership of the combined company.
Delta has also had conversations recently with UAL (UAUA), the owner of United Airlines, according to published reports.In the past, internal Delta consolidation studies have concluded that a merger with Continental would make the most sense, while a deal with Northwest could also have value because it would provide access to the Pacific, according to sources who are familiar with the situation. Delta bid unsuccessfully for Continental in 1998, then acknowledged it was again studying a merger effort in 2000. The internal studies also determined that authorities wouldn't permit a merger with United because the combined airline would be too big. However, it is uncertain whether regulators would have the same view today given the rapid expansion of low-fare carriers who might also provide competitive alternatives in the event of legacy carrier mergers. Additionally, since the internal studies were done, Delta and Continental have both dramatically built their hubs at New York's Kennedy Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport, as well as their trans-Atlantic service from the two hubs. Publicly, Delta has said it is "analyzing strategic options, including potential consolidation transactions." Delta and Continental declined to speak for this story.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV