Competition Pinches Time Warner Cable
Video competition squeezes another cable giant as Time Warner Cable (TWC) sees higher-than-expected customer defections and misses its third quarter profit target.
In the third quarter, Time Warner Cable says it saw its basic video subscriber numbers decrease by 83,000, with 66,000 of that decline coming from the Dallas and Los Angeles markets, where competition from rivals has heated up. Analysts and investors were expecting user losses of about 50,000.
Failure of cable companies to convert basic video customers into subscribers of multiple digital services like phone and Net access has been exposed as a big vulnerability as players duke it out with so-called triple play offers.
A good measure of how effective cable companies are at selling more services is the revenue generating units number. In the third quarter, Time Warner Cable added 522,000 RGUs, which is down sequentially from the 546,000 mark in the second quarter.Strong promotion of high-definition programming by satellite broadcasters DirecTV (DTV) and EchoStar (DISH) along with the entry of phone companies like AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) in the video market has helped
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV