Community Health Ready for Healing
Following a big-ticket purchase, Community Health Systems (CYH) is ready to pay down some debt this holiday season.
Late Tuesday, Community announced its first major asset sale since becoming the nation's largest publicly traded hospital chain. The Franklin, Tenn., company will shed nine hospitals, collecting $315 million in proceeds, as it seeks to rebuild its balance sheet after this year's multibillion-dollar purchase of Triad.
Community expects to turn over the hospitals to privately held Capella Healthcare by the end of January.
Community's shares were climbing 7.3% to $33.02 following the news.The deal will trim Community's hospital count, currently at 128, by roughly 9%. It includes more facilities -- but at a cheaper price -- than some analysts had anticipated. "The sale price is a relatively low valuation compared to that implied by the purchase price for all of Triad," observed Cowen analyst Kemp Dolliver, who has a neutral rating on Community's stock. "The package includes a mix of highly profitable hospitals and unprofitable hospitals." Looking ahead, "additional divestitures remain possible," Dolliver added. Critics have felt nervous about Community's ambitious buyout of Triad from the start. With that deal, Community shifted away from its proven strategy of buying rural hospitals -- which often monopolize their markets -- in small, manageable transactions. By purchasing Triad, the company wound up with many urban hospitals facing stiff competition instead. It assumed a huge debt load, totaling more than $9 billion, to boot.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV