Community Health Ready for Healing
Following a big-ticket purchase, Community Health Systems (CYH) is ready to pay down some debt this holiday season.
Late Tuesday, Community announced its first major asset sale since becoming the nation's largest publicly traded hospital chain. The Franklin, Tenn., company will shed nine hospitals, collecting $315 million in proceeds, as it seeks to rebuild its balance sheet after this year's multibillion-dollar purchase of Triad.
Community expects to turn over the hospitals to privately held Capella Healthcare by the end of January.
Community's shares were climbing 7.3% to $33.02 following the news.The deal will trim Community's hospital count, currently at 128, by roughly 9%. It includes more facilities -- but at a cheaper price -- than some analysts had anticipated. "The sale price is a relatively low valuation compared to that implied by the purchase price for all of Triad," observed Cowen analyst Kemp Dolliver, who has a neutral rating on Community's stock. "The package includes a mix of highly profitable hospitals and unprofitable hospitals." Looking ahead, "additional divestitures remain possible," Dolliver added. Critics have
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV