Classmates IPO Least Likely to Succeed
Attention, fellow classmates of Skyline High School: If you want to contact me, use the email address above. It's free.
But Classmates.com is not. And that's the core problem with the imminent IPO from Classmates Media, the company running the popular alumni-tracking Web site.
I signed up for Classmates.com back in June 2000 -- when the term "social networking" referred to rooftop Bacchanalias. Back then, Classmates.com boasted 6.8 million registrants and vowed, "We are going to find them all, eventually."
Eventually is a long time. Only 128 members of my class have signed up, about one-fifth of the total, and nearly all have the barest profiles. Six of them have browsed my own minimalist profile over seven years (making me wonder if I wasn't a lonelier geek than I remember), and three have signed my guestbook.I'll probably never know who those three are, because there's no reason for me to pay the subscription -- between $15 for three months and $59 for two years -- that's required in order for me to look at my guestbook and email other members. And if I send an email to any of them, they would have to buy a subscription to read it. Classmates is pitching itself as the IPO equivalent of the poor man's Facebook, for people who can't wait to get in on the real thing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV