Candidates' Tax Plans May Sound Good, but They're Unsound
Cash-strapped consumers are tapped out and hurting. Attempting to ride to their rescue are presidential candidates Barack Obama and Mitt Romney.
The candidates introduced ambitious tax-cutting plans in the last week aimed at easing the burden on the consumer.
The plans differ radically. Obama, a Democrat, presents a tax cut, while Romney, a Republican, takes it even further -- no taxes at all in some cases. Their plans offer some relief, but they don't make fiscal sense at a time of budget deficits and an increasing national debt.
Obama has announced a tax cut of about $85 billion. The Illinois senator's plan favors working Americans, homeowners and low-income seniors. He offers a tax cut of $500 per working person and a new mortgage credit aimed at low- and middle-income homeowners. Seniors with yearly incomes of less than $50,000 would pay no taxes.Obama also wants to reduce tax filing time. He aims to simplify forms so that they can be completed in five minutes or less. It all sounds great. But how will Obama pay for it? He makes several sweeping statements at the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV