'Bricks and Mortar' Portfolio Posts Big Gains
Editor's note: "Bricks and Mortar" is a mock portfolio created by reporter Nicholas Yulico that is meant to help generate real estate and gaming-related stock ideas. In keeping with TSC's editorial policy, Yulico doesn't own or short individual stocks.
The fourth quarter started off with a bang for the broader stock market on Monday, and the Bricks and Mortar mock portfolio surged on the rally.
The portfolio is now up 23.2% since its inception in late January, handily beating the S&P 500's return of 8.3% in the same period.
Such outsized returns make it a nice time to examine what's working and whether there are still stocks left to buy in the real estate and casino sectors.From a top-down sector perspective, I believe homebuilder stocks will remain a disaster and should not be bought. I've been bearish on the group for a year now and continue to flag Ryland (RYL) as overvalued. There's no reason to buy into a group where nearly all builders are reporting losses, and the future will get uglier because of pricing wars across the industry -- a thesis I laid out in a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV