Biotech Sonus Could Soar on Drug Results
BOSTON -- Sonus Pharmaceuticals (SNUS) is nearing a make-or-break milestone for its experimental cancer drug.
The small Seattle-based biotech firm is preparing to release top-line results from a pivotal phase III study of Tocosol paclitaxel, a reformulation of the broadly used chemotherapy drug paclitaxel, which is known by its brand name Taxol.
Sonus' management has indicated that the phase III data should be ready at the end of September, so we're a month away from what should be a significant stock-moving catalyst.
I called this a make-or-break moment for Sonus -- and I mean it. At its Monday closing price of $3.85, Sonus shares could double if its drug is a success. A failure, of course, will send Sonus shares tumbling. The company has about $1.20 a share in cash.The Sonus story is fairly straightforward: The company has developed a proprietary drug delivery technology using vitamin E that allows chemotherapy drugs to be administered much more easily, with less toxicity and fewer side effects. Superior efficacy is also a possibility. Tocosol paclitaxel, or TocP, can be administered to a patient in 15 minutes, compared to the three-hour infusion time for normal Taxol. TocP also doesn't require patients to be pretreated with steroids either, like Taxol does. Sonus' drug should also be less toxic than ordinary Taxol, most importantly with regard to neuropathy, a side effect affecting a patient's peripheral nerves that can cause tingling, numbness and pain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV