AutoZone Zooms on Profit Beat
Shares of AutoZone (AZO) motored higher Tuesday after the auto-supply retailer handily beat Wall Street's first-quarter profit targets.
The stock recently was rising $15.61, or 14.5%, to $12.38.
For the first quarter ended Nov. 17, the Memphis, Tenn., company earned $132.5 million, up 7% from $123.9 million a year earlier.
On a per-share basis, earnings jumped 17% to $2.02 from $1.73 last year, as the average number of shares outstanding dropped 9% due to buybacks. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial expected earnings of $1.91 a share.Sales rose to $1.46 billion from $1.39 billion a year earlier, exceeding Wall Street's forecast of $1.44 billion. Same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least a year, increased 1.3%. Gross margin also improved, rising to 49.9% from 49.2% the prior year. AutoZone attributed the rise to better merchandise management, as well as a shift in sales toward higher-margin products. Shares of AutoZone, like those of most retailers, have slid in recent months as investors fear a consumer slowdown. The stock traded at a 52-week high of $140.29 in July, but had fallen to a 52-week low of $103.40 last week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV