Apple's iPod Classic Could Be Harmful to Your Headphones
There are reports today of problems with new Apple (AAPL) software for the current top-of-the-line, 80 GB ($249) and 160 GB ($349) iPod Classic models.
Users are complaining that the recently released operating-system update for their music players is causing a somewhat serious electrical problem for their music systems.
According to iLounge.com, users are complaining that iPod Classics whose firmware has recently been upgraded to Version 1.1 are sending residual electrical pulses through the headphone jack -- as well as the iPod docking connection (on the bottom of every music player) -- when the iPods are turned off. Those pulses, measured at 500mv of DC, could conceivably cause damage to any attached equipment.
Stereophile.com is reporting that most users of iPod Classics on both headfi.com (a Web site for a super-high-end headphone amplifier manufacturer) and Apple users forums reported only that they had experienced "hiss," "static" or "buzzing" after updating the player's firmware.A few users reported the upgrade either froze their iPods (Apple replaced their iPods) or the upgrade removed their stored music files. As per company policy, there has been no official response from Apple as to any problem with iPod Classic upgrades or any related fixes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV