Apple to Introduce Faster iPhone Next Year
Apple (AAPL) will deliver the next version of the iPhone early next year, TheStreet.com has learned.
A faster third-generation, or 3G, iPhone will be available sometime in the first quarter, say people familiar with the production plans. The new iPhone should help quiet critics who were unimpressed by the 2.5G EDGE technology the first version used.
Apple declined to comment.
Wireless industry observers say the two biggest complaints about the iPhone were the high prices and slow network connections. Earlier this month, Apple slashed the iPhone price by 33% -- a move that seems to have spurred some demand. TheStreet.com reported earlier Monday that the Cupertino, Calif., company was boosting production targets.Holdouts waiting for the full-speed 3G iPhone may still be frustrated that the device won't be available this year. But a clearer timeline and the promise of new features could help soothe unhappy Apple fans. The new 3G iPhone is expected to include features like global positioning for navigation services. In fact, sources say Apple has tapped Broadcom's (BRCM) Global Locate unit to supply chips for the phone. Broadcom acquired Global Locate in July. The tech shop makes so-called assisted GPS chips that use a combination of satellite and cellular antenna signals to pinpoint locations. This technology is designed to improve signal reception indoors or in cities where direct satellite views are unavailable. Another chipmaker winning a place in the new iPhone is TriQuint (TQNT), say people familiar with the plan. TriQuint will supply power amplifiers for the new iPhone, these sources say.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV