Apple Supplier Sees Cutbacks
An Apple (AAPL) supplier says the tech giant cut orders last month in preparation for a slowdown in consumer spending.
Catcher Technology, one of the suppliers of light metal exteriors for Apple's iPods, reported a 45% sequential monthly decline in December sales. The drop was 30% below year-over-year levels and much steeper than the single-digit decline that had been predicted.
According to an analyst's note, Catcher blamed the shortfall on an "inventory adjustment by Apple" and Apple's "more conservative view toward macro economics slowdown."
Catcher was unavailable for comment, and an Apple representative declined to comment.Production cuts are common going into the post-holiday season, as consumer electronics players seek to avoid big inventory pileups. But if Catcher's information is true, the order cuts suggest inventory reduction goals that are below normal seasonal levels. It's also unclear whether production rates reflect perceived demand trends or merely product changes. For example, in July TheStreet.com reported that Apple cut its iPhone production in half. Two months later, the company announced it was discontinuing its 4-gigabit iPhone, roughly half its lineup. Apple shares were down $6.09, or 3%, to $188.84 amid widespread selling Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV