Apple Mac Sales Surging
Updated from 10:34 a.m. EDT
iPhone fever may have obscured the robust growth in Apple's (AAPL) Macs.
People familiar with the company say Apple is selling computers at a blockbuster pace. The Cupertino, Calif., company is expected to sell 2.35 million iMacs and MacBooks this quarter, TheStreet.com has learned.
A sales number that high would beat analysts' estimates by nearly 400,000 units. Pegging the average Mac sales price at a conservative $1,500, a beat of that magnitude stands to boost Apple's top line by about $600 million. Analysts expect the company to post fiscal first-quarter revenue of $5.94 billion.The popularity of Apple's computer lineup has been fueled by a robust back-to-school buying spree and a revamped iMac roster, say industry watchers. Apple has about 3% of the world's computer market share, but it has gained ground as larger rivals like Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Dell (DELL) try to revive sluggish sales. Apple's strong growth prospects and its marketing and design cachet have earned the company a significant premium to many of its tech peers. Apple's market cap is $122 billion -- twice that of Dell, even though Dell's sales are around three times Apple's.
|Want more? Check out TheStreet.com TV video. Scott Moritz takes a closer look.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV