Airlines Mull Frequent-Flier Spinoffs
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Anybody want to buy a frequent-flier program?
That shouldn't be a problem. Not to say that legacy airlines move in lockstep, but in the past month, five of the six have said they are evaluating frequent-flier program spinoffs.
This movement has two principal sets of backers. One is made of investors such as the Icelandic company FL Group, which has apparently lost money by choosing the wrong time to buy 9.1% of the shares of American parent AMR (AMR). In September, CEO Hannes Smarason wrote AMR a letter urging a quick spinoff.
"We believe that there is no time to lose," he noted.The other group that champions spinoffs is made of investment banks "looking for fees," according to US Airways (LCC) CEO Doug Parker. The airline, though skeptical, is reviewing a spinoff, promoted by "people coming and making pitches to us about it," Parker said last month. But clearly, many industry insiders see value in spinning off mileage programs. "To a certain extent, these programs print money," says Jay Sorensen, president of the airline marketing consultant IdeaWorks. They sell miles that cost little to produce but have vast appeal. United (UAUA) says Mileage Plus 2006 revenue was $600 million. Revenue from American Advantage is believed to exceed $1 billion. Founded in 1981, Advantage was the first frequent-flier program, and it was quickly copied by competitors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV