- Last Ratings Update:12/31/2014
- Price as of 12/31/2014 :$205.54
- Net Assets:$180,378.094 Million
- Peer Rank:49 of 295
- Investment Rating:B+
We rate SPDR S&P 500 ETF at B+. Positive factors that influence this rating include a well above average total return, low price volatility and low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 100% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Growth - Domestic strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks very high in comparison with peers over the last three years. The SPDR S&P 500 ETF has returned an annual rate of 9.29% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 14.71% in the last five years, 19.62% in the last three years, and 14.58% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 78% of them. It has also outpaced 82% of its competitors on a three year basis and 73% of them over the last year for the period ending 12/31/2014. On a year to date basis, SPY has returned 14.58%.
Downside risk has been below average. SPY has a draw down risk of -6.63%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 9.1%. This fund has had a low level of volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 12/31/2014, the fund was trading at a price of $205.54, which is 3.5% below its 52-week high of $212.97 and 3.9% above its 52-week low of $197.86.
Low expense ratio helps performance. On total assets of $180.38 billion, SPY maintains a low expense ratio compared to its Growth - Domestic peers of just 0.09% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As SPY is an exchange traded fund, it has no front end or back end load.
The SPDR S&P 500 ETF is managed by David K. Chin at State Street Bank and Trust Company. This fund is one of 2 State Street Bank and Trust Company exchange-traded funds launched since 1/22/1993 that we track.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV