- Last Ratings Update:05/31/2015
- Price as of 05/31/2015 :$16.98
- Net Assets:$226.85 Million
- Peer Rank:58 of 113
- Investment Rating:C-
We rate Nuveen AMT-Free Municipal Value at C-. Positive factors that influence this rating include a low price volatility and low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 92% of its assets in bonds and may be considered for investors seeking a Municipal - National strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks below peers over the last three years. The Nuveen AMT-Free Municipal Value has returned an annual rate of 7.30% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 5.32% in the last five years, 3.58% in the last three years, and 8.39% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 41% of them. It has also outpaced 41% of its competitors on a three year basis and 84% of them over the last year for the period ending 5/31/2015. On a year to date basis, NUW has returned -0.90%.
Downside risk has been below average. NUW has a draw down risk of -22.86%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 10.7%. This fund has had a low level of volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 5/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $16.98, which is 3.2% below its 52-week high of $17.54 and 1.3% above its 52-week low of $16.76.
Low expense ratio helps performance. On total assets of $226.86 million, NUW maintains a low expense ratio compared to its Municipal - National peers of just 0.75% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As NUW is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager tenure is a net positive but performance record lags managerial peers. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The Nuveen AMT-Free Municipal Value has been managed by Thomas C. Spalding for the last 6 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than just 33% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV