- Last Ratings Update:03/31/2014
- Price as of 03/31/2014 :$15.99
- Net Assets:$218.4 Million
- Peer Rank:44 of 112
- Investment Rating:B-
We rate Nuveen AMT-Free Municipal Value at B-. Positive factors that influence this rating include a greater than above average total return, low price volatility and low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 92% of its assets in bonds and may be considered for investors seeking a Municipal - National strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks above peers over the last three years. The Nuveen AMT-Free Municipal Value has returned an annual rate of 6.68% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 6.93% in the last five years, 7.64% in the last three years, and -2.88% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 27% of them. It has also outpaced 68% of its competitors on a three year basis and 29% of them over the last year for the period ending 3/31/2014. On a year to date basis, NUW has returned 7.46%.
Downside risk has been below average. NUW has a draw down risk of -22.86%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 12.1%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 3/31/2014, the fund was trading at a price of $15.99, which is 1.2% below its 52-week high of $16.18 and 2.1% above its 52-week low of $15.66.
Low expense ratio helps performance. On total assets of $218.40 million, NUW maintains a low expense ratio compared to its Municipal - National peers of just 0.72% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As NUW is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager lacks tenure and performance record lags managerial peers. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The Nuveen AMT-Free Municipal Value has been managed by Thomas C. Spalding for only 5 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than just 31% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
Latest Stock Upgrades/Downgrades