- Last Ratings Update:10/31/2013
- Price as of 10/31/2013 :$28.52
- Net Assets:$1,026.36 Million
- Peer Rank:39 of 115
- Investment Rating:C
We rate Kayne Anderson Energy Tot Ret at C. Positive factors that influence this rating include a greater than above average total return and low price volatility. The fund invests approximately 87% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks above peers over the last three years. The Kayne Anderson Energy Tot Ret has returned an annual rate of 10.20% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 21.55% in the last five years, 9.78% in the last three years, and 10.81% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 87% of them. It has also outpaced 68% of its competitors on a three year basis and 56% of them over the last year for the period ending 10/31/2013. On a year to date basis, KYE has returned 21.98%.
Downside risk has been below average. KYE has a draw down risk of -24.72%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 19.6%. This fund has experienced a high level of volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 10/31/2013, the fund was trading at a price of $28.52, which is 5.7% below its 52-week high of $30.24 and 3.6% above its 52-week low of $27.52.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $1.03 billion, KYE maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of 4.20% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As KYE is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager tenure and performance record are net positives. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The Kayne Anderson Energy Tot Ret has been managed by John C. Frey for the last 8 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than 78% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
Latest Stock Upgrades/Downgrades