- Last Ratings Update:07/31/2014
- Price as of 07/31/2014 :$33.15
- Net Assets:$313.4 Million
- Peer Rank:2 of 115
- Investment Rating:A+
We rate Kayne Anderson Engy Development Co at A+. This overall rating indicates it is among the top 10% of all closed end funds in its peer group. Positive factors that influence this rating include a well above average total return and low price volatility. The fund invests approximately 82% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks very high in comparison with peers over the last three years. The Kayne Anderson Engy Development Co has returned an annual rate of 11.26% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 27.94% in the last five years, 26.79% in the last three years, and 37.89% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 97% of them. It has also outpaced 96% of its competitors on a three year basis and 98% of them over the last year for the period ending 7/31/2014. On a year to date basis, KED has returned 22.51%.
Downside risk has been below average. KED has a draw down risk of -11.45%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 17.3%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 7/31/2014, the fund was trading at a price of $33.15, which is 7.8% below its 52-week high of $35.96 and 4.2% above its 52-week low of $31.82.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $313.40 million, KED maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of 3.70% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As KED is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
Latest Stock Upgrades/Downgrades