- Last Ratings Update:08/31/2014
- Price as of 08/31/2014 :$9.74
- Net Assets:$278.99 Million
- Peer Rank:55 of 270
- Investment Rating:C+
We rate Japan Smaller Cap Fund Inc. at C+. This overall rating indicates it is among the top 10% of all closed end funds in its peer group. Positive factors that influence this rating include a greater than above average total return and low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 80% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Non-US Equity strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks above peers over the last three years. The Japan Smaller Cap Fund Inc. has returned an annual rate of 1.49% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 4.49% in the last five years, 11.16% in the last three years, and 16.49% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 22% of them. It has also outpaced 52% of its competitors on a three year basis and 48% of them over the last year for the period ending 8/31/2014. On a year to date basis, JOF has returned 5.56%.
Downside risk has been below average. JOF has a draw down risk of -10.73%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 13.8%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 8/31/2014, the fund was trading at a price of $9.74, which is 1.3% below its 52-week high of $9.87 and 3.9% above its 52-week low of $9.37.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $278.99 million, JOF maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Non-US Equity peers of 1.19% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As JOF is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV