- Last Ratings Update:11/30/2013
- Price as of 11/30/2013 :$43.35
- Net Assets:$1,189.57 Million
- Peer Rank:14 of 39
- Investment Rating:D-
We rate Central Gold-Trust at D-. Negative factors that influence this rating include a well below average total return. The fund may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Precious Metals strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks well below peers over the last three years. The Central Gold-Trust has returned an annual rate of 9.96% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 7.57% in the last five years, -6.95% in the last three years, and -35.00% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 15% of them. It has also outpaced 12% of its competitors on a three year basis and 4% of them over the last year for the period ending 11/30/2013. On a year to date basis, GTU has returned -30.95%.
Downside risk has been above average. GTU has a draw down risk of -39.52%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 24.2%. This fund has experienced a high level of volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 11/30/2013, the fund was trading at a price of $43.35, which is 7.2% below its 52-week high of $46.72 and 3.0% above its 52-week low of $42.07.
Low expense ratio helps performance. On total assets of $1.19 billion, GTU maintains a low expense ratio compared to its Sector - Precious Metals peers of just 0.34% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As GTU is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager tenure is a net positive but performance record lags managerial peers. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The Central Gold-Trust has been managed by a team for the last 11 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than just 48% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
Latest Stock Upgrades/Downgrades