- Last Ratings Update:03/31/2015
- Price as of 03/31/2015 :$34.98
- Net Assets:$1,229.47 Million
- Peer Rank:150 of 294
- Investment Rating:B
We rate General American Investors at B. This overall rating indicates it is among the top 10% of all closed end funds in its peer group. Positive factors that influence this rating include a well above average total return, low price volatility and low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 100% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Growth - Domestic strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks very high in comparison with peers over the last three years. The General American Investors has returned an annual rate of 13.52% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 12.68% in the last five years, 14.65% in the last three years, and 8.56% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 74% of them. It has also outpaced 75% of its competitors on a three year basis and 59% of them over the last year for the period ending 3/31/2015. On a year to date basis, GAM has returned -0.63%.
Downside risk has been below average. GAM has a draw down risk of -12.50%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 11.1%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 3/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $34.98, which is 2.4% below its 52-week high of $35.83 and 1.5% above its 52-week low of $34.46.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $1.23 billion, GAM maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Growth - Domestic peers of 1.27% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As GAM is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV