- Last Ratings Update:05/31/2015
- Price as of 05/31/2015 :$16.95
- Net Assets:$484.74 Million
- Peer Rank:44 of 122
- Investment Rating:D+
We rate First Trust New Opptys MLP & Energy at D+. Negative factors that influence this rating include a high expense structure. The fund may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
New Fund off to poor start in the last year. The First Trust New Opptys MLP & Energy has returned an annual rate of -8.10% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of -5.62% in the last year, -2.20% in the last six months, and -4.39% in the last three months. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last year, it has outperformed 23% of them for the period ending 5/31/2015. On a year to date basis, FPL has returned -2.60%.
Downside risk has been below average. FPL has a draw down risk of -12.13%, which is the largest price decline experienced since the inception of the fund. This fund has a one year standard deviation of 9.3%. This fund has had a low level of volatility in its monthly performance over the last 12 months. As of 5/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $16.95, which is 4.7% below its 52-week high of $17.79 and 0.5% above its 52-week low of $16.87.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $484.74 million, FPL maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of 1.94% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As FPL is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV