- Last Ratings Update:03/31/2015
- Price as of 03/31/2015 :$17.09
- Net Assets:$488 Million
- Peer Rank:37 of 123
- Investment Rating:D+
We rate First Trust New Opptys MLP & Energy at D+. This overall rating indicates it is among the top 10% of all closed end funds in its peer group. Negative factors that influence this rating include a well below average total return. The fund may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
New Fund off to poor start in the last year. The First Trust New Opptys MLP & Energy has returned an annual rate of -9.68% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of -9.41% in the last year, -4.45% in the last six months, and -4.15% in the last three months. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last year, it has outperformed 17% of them for the period ending 3/31/2015. On a year to date basis, FPL has returned -2.62%.
Downside risk has been below average. FPL has a draw down risk of -11.40%, which is the largest price decline experienced since the inception of the fund. This fund has a one year standard deviation of 7.9%. This fund has had very little volatility in its monthly performance over the last 12 months. As of 3/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $17.09, which is 5.6% below its 52-week high of $18.10 and 2.4% above its 52-week low of $16.69.
Low expense ratio helps performance. On total assets of $488.00 million, FPL maintains a low expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of just 0.00% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As FPL is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV