- Last Ratings Update:10/31/2015
- Price as of 10/31/2015 :$27.09
- Net Assets:$737.13 Million
- Peer Rank:17 of 117
- Investment Rating:C-
We rate First Trust Energy Income and Gro at C-. Positive factors that influence this rating include a low price volatility. The fund invests approximately 100% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks below peers over the last three years. The First Trust Energy Income and Gro has returned an annual rate of 10.11% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 6.68% in the last five years, 3.07% in the last three years, and -18.57% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 55% of them. It has also outpaced 49% of its competitors on a three year basis and 15% of them over the last year for the period ending 10/31/2015. On a year to date basis, FEN has returned -20.27%.
Downside risk has been above average. FEN has a draw down risk of -33.41%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 16.0%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 10/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $27.09, which is 5.7% below its 52-week high of $28.74 and 7.9% above its 52-week low of $25.10.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $737.14 million, FEN maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of 2.04% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As FEN is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas