- Last Ratings Update:12/31/2014
- Price as of 12/31/2014 :$11.58
- Net Assets:$3,399.9 Million
- Peer Rank:21 of 40
- Investment Rating:E+
We rate Central Fund of Canada at E+. Negative factors that influence this rating include a well below average total return. The fund may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Precious Metals strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks well below peers over the last three years. The Central Fund of Canada has returned an annual rate of 2.61% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of -4.42% in the last five years, -16.55% in the last three years, and -15.89% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 11% of them. It has also outpaced 7% of its competitors on a three year basis and 10% of them over the last year for the period ending 12/31/2014. On a year to date basis, CEF has returned -15.89%.
Downside risk has been above average. CEF has a draw down risk of -53.30%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 26.4%. This fund has experienced excessive volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 12/31/2014, the fund was trading at a price of $11.58, which is 4.5% below its 52-week high of $12.12 and 2.8% above its 52-week low of $11.26.
Low expense ratio helps performance. On total assets of $3.40 billion, CEF maintains a low expense ratio compared to its Sector - Precious Metals peers of just 0.32% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As CEF is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager tenure is a net positive but performance record lags managerial peers. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The Central Fund of Canada has been managed by Philip M. Spicer for the last 9 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than just 20% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV