- Last Ratings Update:03/31/2015
- Price as of 03/31/2015 :$20.34
- Net Assets:$741.11 Million
- Peer Rank:48 of 123
- Investment Rating:D
We rate BlackRock Energy & Resources at D. This overall rating indicates it is among the top 10% of all closed end funds in its peer group. Negative factors that influence this rating include a high price volatility. The fund invests approximately 100% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks below peers over the last three years. The BlackRock Energy & Resources has returned an annual rate of 7.34% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 4.37% in the last five years, 3.43% in the last three years, and -6.25% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 30% of them. It has also outpaced 33% of its competitors on a three year basis and 21% of them over the last year for the period ending 3/31/2015. On a year to date basis, BGR has returned 3.23%.
Downside risk has been below average. BGR has a draw down risk of -26.03%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 16.8%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 3/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $20.34, which is 8.1% below its 52-week high of $22.13 and 2.7% above its 52-week low of $19.80.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $741.11 million, BGR maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of 1.26% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As BGR is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager lacks tenure but performance is a net positive. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The BlackRock Energy & Resources has been managed by Christopher M. Accettella for only 3 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than 62% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV