- Last Ratings Update:05/31/2014
- Price as of 05/31/2014 :$8.28
- Net Assets:$1,594.22 Million
- Peer Rank:170 of 280
- Investment Rating:C+
We rate BlackRock Enhanced Equity Div at C+. Positive factors that influence this rating include a low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 100% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking an Equity Income strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks below peers over the last three years. The BlackRock Enhanced Equity Div has returned an annual rate of 3.08% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 10.96% in the last five years, 8.29% in the last three years, and 15.37% in the last year. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last five years, it has outperformed 36% of them. It has also outpaced 49% of its competitors on a three year basis and 64% of them over the last year for the period ending 5/31/2014. On a year to date basis, BDJ has returned 6.12%.
Downside risk has been below average. BDJ has a draw down risk of -20.68%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 12.1%. This fund has had moderate volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 5/31/2014, the fund was trading at a price of $8.28, which is 0.4% below its 52-week high of $8.31 and 3.4% above its 52-week low of $8.01.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $1.59 billion, BDJ maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Equity Income peers of 0.87% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As BDJ is a closed end fund, it has no front end or back end load.
Manager lacks tenure and performance record lags managerial peers. Substandard fund managers tend to be replaced, so a long tenure is usually a good sign that a fund is achieving its objectives. The BlackRock Enhanced Equity Div has been managed by Kathleen M. Anderson for only 4 years. Over that period, the manager was able to capture more actual gains in excess of the expected return than just 34% of other fund managers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV
Latest Stock Upgrades/Downgrades