- Last Ratings Update:03/31/2015
- Price as of 03/31/2015 :$16.57
- Net Assets:$9,617.1 Million
- Peer Rank:16 of 123
- Investment Rating:C
We rate Alps Alerian MLP ETF at C. This overall rating indicates it is among the top 10% of all closed end funds in its peer group. Positive factors that influence this rating include a low price volatility and low expense structure. The fund invests approximately 100% of its assets in stocks and may be considered for investors seeking a Sector - Energy/Natural Res strategy.
POSITIVES AND RISKS
Total return ranks below peers over the last three years. The Alps Alerian MLP ETF has returned an annual rate of 8.64% since inception. More recently, the fund has generated a total return of 6.39% in the last three years, -0.95% in the last year, and -9.92% in the last six months. How does that compare to other equity funds? In the last three years, it has outperformed 46% of them. It has also outpaced 31% of its competitors on a one year basis for the period ending 3/31/2015. On a year to date basis, AMLP has returned -3.57%.
Downside risk has been below average. AMLP has a draw down risk of -14.19%, which is the largest price decline experienced over the last three years. This fund has a three year standard deviation of 9.1%. This fund has had a low level of volatility in its monthly performance over the last 36 months. As of 3/31/2015, the fund was trading at a price of $16.57, which is 2.9% below its 52-week high of $17.06 and 3.1% above its 52-week low of $16.07.
High expense ratio hinders performance. On total assets of $9.62 billion, AMLP maintains a high expense ratio compared to its Sector - Energy/Natural Res peers of 0.85% to cover all operating costs. Brokerage costs for the fund to buy and sell shares are not included in the expense ratio. As AMLP is an exchange traded fund, it has no front end or back end load.
The Alps Alerian MLP ETF is managed by Michael Akins at ALPS Advisors Inc. This fund is one of 18 ALPS Advisors Inc exchange-traded funds launched since 3/6/1986 that we track.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV