Mortgage Mess Mauls Ambac
The sound of credit crunching is getting louder every day.
But so far, contrary to the hopes of stock-market bulls, the massive losses at Citi and Merrill haven't cleared the way for a fall recovery in financial stocks.Instead, as credit ratings agencies such as Fitch, Moody's and Standard & Poor's issue warnings and downgrades on asset-backed securities and derivative collateralized debt obligations, the pain from the collapse of the subprime mortgage sector continues to spread. Fitch Ratings on Monday called into question the capital reserves at financial guarantors such as Ambac (ABK), MBIA (MBI) and Security Capital Assurance (SCA), along with closely held Financial Guaranty Insurance and CIFG Guaranty. Fitch's review is due to take four to six weeks. If it cascades into full blown ratings downgrades, it could create another wave of forced selling in the credit markets -- this time in the $14 trillion municipal bond market. "It's starting to feel a lot like summer," says Sid Bakst, senior portfolio manager at Weiss Peck & Greer Investments, and he's not referring to the weather.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV