Before the bell Thursday, the aerospace and defense contractor reported fourth-quarter net earnings of $2.23 a share, beating per-share earnings of $1.97 analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had forecast. Revenue of $3.26 billion, though 8.3% lower year-on-year, exceeded consensus of $3.16 billion.
"We performed well in the fourth quarter amid very challenging conditions caused by declining U.S. national security budgets and sequestration. We generated solid operating margin and cash flow despite declining sales," said CEO Michael T. Strianese in a statement.
Over fiscal 2013, the New York-based company recorded net profits of $8.70 a share and $12.63 billion in revenue. Analysts had anticipated $8.35 a share in net income and $12.53 billion in revenue.TheStreet Ratings team rates L-3 COMMUNICATIONS HLDGS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate L-3 COMMUNICATIONS HLDGS INC (LLL) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LLL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV