Update (4:22 p.m. EST): Updated with closing price, day high and low prices, price change and volume information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Alcoa (AA - Get Report) rose 4.25% to $11.04, up 45 cents from its previous close of $10.59, at the close of the trading day on Thursday after the company announced it would close down the two remaining potlines at its Massena East plant in Upstate New York in the first-quarter of 2014.
The stock had a volume of 39,814,823, well above its average of 25,474,200. It hit a high of $11.04 and a low of $10.58 for the day.
The Pittsburgh-based Alcoa said it would shut down the potlines, long rows of reductions pots that the company uses in its smelting work, because they are not competitive anymore. Alcoa revealed that it had closed another plant in Massena, which sits near the Canadian border, in August. The Massena East plant contains 332 employees.
Alcoa plans to work with the New York power Authority to keep its Massena West smelter, which employs 669 people, up and running.
TheStreet Ratings team rates ALCOA INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ALCOA INC (AA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock performance, considering both the consistency and magnitude of the price movement over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, our view is that this company's fundamentals will not have much impact in either direction, allowing the stock to generally move up or down based on the push and pull of the broad market.
- AA, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 3.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ALCOA INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALCOA INC swung to a loss, reporting -$2.15 versus $0.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.40 versus -$2.15).
- The gross profit margin for ALCOA INC is rather low; currently it is at 15.70%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -41.88% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1066.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $242.00 million to -$2,339.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AA Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.