Jeremy Siegel Says Get Ready to Buy
The "Wizard of Wharton" says don't worry.
"If investors have cash on the sidelines, they should not wait too long to put it to use," says Jeremy Siegel, Wharton business school professor at the University of Pennsylvania and well-known markets commentator. "There are good values out there in equities -- especially in financial stocks -- and you will be rewarded in the long run if you start dollar cost-averaging now."
To most investors, however, "the long run" seems a long way away when the market alternates daily between triple-digit gains and losses. Those wide swings are reflected in the spiking volatility index, or VIX, also commonly known as the "fear index," which has jumped from 12 to 26.5 over the past two months.
"Volatility is highest I can remember since 9/11," says Siegel. "Investors were spoiled by low volatility for so long, and they need to get used to it."Once investors steel their stomachs to the market's waviness, Siegel says, exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, are the best way for them to put their toes in the water. ETFs are open-ended mutual funds, typically tracking an index, which can be traded like stocks throughout the course of the day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV