How Are Bond Prices Affected by Coupon Payment Dates?
Does a bond experience the inverse of the price deterioration seen on an option, the closer it is to a coupon date?
For example, suppose you purchase a $1,000 bond with a 10% coupon, which pays $50 a year in two installments on June 15 and Dec. 15. If the bond is trading at par (100 cents on the dollar), does it experience a natural growth toward 105 as it approaches a payment date?
-- Gordon Shephard
Gordon,Your logic is impeccable, but no, that's not how it actually works. You correctly assume that if a bond changes hands a certain number of days after its last coupon payment, the seller should get whatever portion of the next coupon payment he is entitled to, based on how long he held the bond.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV