What Washington Has in Store for Energy
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- New appointments for President Obama's second term have included a new Secretary of Energy and a new commissioner at the Environmental Protection Agency. Do either of these appointments signal anything new in policy on energy going forward?
In a word, no. Ernest Moniz, the choice for Energy secretary, is another MIT scientist very much in the same mold as outgoing Secretary Steven Chu. He's an advocate of the "all-of-the-above" energy strategy proposed by President Obama that ultimately leads nowhere special, particularly on natural gas, even though Moniz is known to be an advocate of fracking.
At the EPA, Gina McCarthy is similarly diligent in proposing and assessing stringent air and water regulations as the outgoing commissioner Lisa Jackson. McCarthy's history hails much more from the Republican ranks having worked for Mitt Romney when he was Governor of Massachusetts. However, she has shown a strong advocacy for stringent air and water regulations and their enforcement.
See the video I shot with Jim Cramer for my take on what these appointments mean for the energy sector and how it could be affected.
Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV