While many were closing up shop on Christmas Eve this past Tuesday, CEO Sardar Biglari of Biglari Holdings was busy delivering yet another letter to Cracker Barrel's board of directors. After three failed attempts to gain seats on the casual dining chain's board, and after being rebuffed in his calls for Cracker Barrel to pay a somewhat large special cash dividend, Biglari's Dec. 24 letter is yet another indicator that he's not going away quietly.
In his latest letter, Biglari, whose company is Cracker Barrel's largest shareholder at just under 20%, is calling for the restaurant chain to "undertake a value maximization process" up to and including the sale of the company to the highest bidder. The letter goes on to state that Biglari Holdings is willing to submit a bid.However, there is one problem with this plan, as the letter acknowledges. Cracker Barrel's home state of Tennessee prohibits Biglari Holdings from bidding for the company, due restrictions on hostile takeovers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV