Dicker: Buy Corn on the Dip
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I was talking with Jim Cramer today about corn prices, which have had a recent drop, falling on a very bearish crop report on Friday. While this puts corn prices again under $7 a bushel, I don't believe this represents the start of a new bear market in corn. In fact, I'm more apt to buy.
Corn has been the victim of a horrific drought that brought prices to a screaming high above $8 a bushel late last year. While the effects of the drought continue, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has reported that a record crop of corn has been planted. Whether that record crop will see itself to harvest is a great question, as well as what we know are increasing demand profiles all around the world.
Add to this the indisputable correlation of corn futures prices with oil futures prices, connected solidly through ethanol, and my belief that a significant drop in oil prices is unlikely and you've got less of a reason to believe that we're on the cusp of a new corn bear market.
I talk more about corn with Jim in the video above.Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV