Until this morning, enjoying Spotify on an iPad meant dealing with a slightly larger version of the iPhone app. Everything was scaled to the phone's 4-inch screen.
As of this morning that's all changed. The music streaming company has just released its all new Spotify for iPad app. And, I'm happy to report it takes better advantage of the popular tablet's feature set.
According to today's press release, Spotify for iPad version 0.5.0 (a beta until version 1.0) uses the entire iPad screen and now features:
- Retina graphics for iPad - dazzling display, razor sharp images, richer colours
- Even easier to browse and explore Spotify’s entire 17 million song catalogue
- New ‘Now Playing’ full-screen view with high-definition cover art
- Search for playlists, users and music - all from the same view
- Check out what's hot and find trending playlists & songs amongst your friends
- Inbox grouped by user for easy searching
- Gapless playback and crossfade
- AirPlay integration
My first impression is that the new app is a winner. It's fast, looks great and offers Spotify fans who listen on their iPads a unique, new interface.
The new Spotify for iPad is available for download now in Apple's App Store. You’ll need a Spotify Premium account ($10/month) to use it. If you had installed the older app you'll be prompted, automatically, to download/install the new version.