Obstacles Await US Airways
That became clear Thursday in Charlotte, where about 400 uniformed pilots stood quietly, side by side, for two hours, demonstrating their frustration with the slow pace of labor talks that began last year.
Duane Woerth, national president of the Air Line Pilots Association and a union official for 25 years, said the turnout was the largest he has ever seen by non-striking pilots. Another 300 pilots staged a similar demonstration in Phoenix, the union said.
"If [US Airways CEO Doug] Parker can raise $8 billion, God bless America," Woerth said. "That means there's money for the pilots."Even before the takeover bid was announced Wednesday, ALPA viewed US Airways as the place to begin to reclaim the ground it lost during five years of industry cost-cutting, as four legacy carriers negotiated contracts in bankruptcy court. "US Airways was first in, and first out," Woerth said. "Their contract is everybody's contract. So we're bringing it on for this one. We have to get this one right." While ALPA already provides staffing and legal support during local negotiations, the US Airways pilots -- including former America West pilots, who currently have a separate contract -- will get more visible support from the national union, Woerth said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV