Maven: Amazed by Amazon
(Editor's note: To access some of these highlighted stories, registration or a subscription may be required. Please check the individual links for the site's policy.)
Of all the industry practices of business headline writers specifically designed to put The Business Press Maven into an early grave, perhaps the most effective (I have only one foot above ground this morning) is the legitimacy they give to revenue benchmarks. The business media attach superlatives to these milestone numbers as if they mean more than growth rates or underlying profits and -- hey, what are you doing with that hammer and nails? Let me finish!
Take the headlines written about Monday's Amazon (AMZN) announcement, which in most cases appear to be just that: headlines superimposed on Amazon's announcement. In this holy season, I thank God that at least the stock market, which appropriately sent Amazon's stock down, did not seem to be as fooled as the headline writers were.
Amazon, it goes without saying but I will, has probably gotten more mileage out of issuing these benchmark-number press releases and having the media take them as something substantial than any other company. Tuesday's release was no exception to that rule.The company said, "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV