Aetna Shows the Way
The Hartford, Conn., insurer started promoting consumer-driven health care plans. The offerings typically balance high deductibles with low monthly payments, in a bid to appeal to some of America's millions of uninsured workers.
It wasn't easy. Ronald Williams, now the company's CEO, felt like he was selling televisions before their invention.
"We didn't have the language to describe it," he recalls. "So the language got in the way of the solution."Undaunted, Aetna set out to become more fluent. By 2001 -- Williams' first year at the company -- Aetna had jumped into the market. The company stood out as the only national health insurer in a group of scrappy upstarts. Other major insurers avoided the scene, only later venturing in by snatching up some early CDHP pioneers down the road. "I remember when they laughed when we talked about consumerism," Williams says. "I'm so thrilled that our competitors today have embraced it. ... It's gratifying." These days, UnitedHealth likes to present itself as a leader of the consumerism movement. Thanks to acquisitions, the company ranks as the largest player in the game. Moreover, the company has made a name for itself as a visionary force in the health care arena as a whole.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV