12 Ways to Save Money on Books
Reading books can quickly become an expensive pastime, but it doesn't have to be that way.
There are many ways that you can greatly decrease the cost of reading -- sometimes to literally nothing -- without compromising the breadth of literature available.
Here are five ways to get your fix for the written word for free:
1. Test-Read at the LibraryYou would never purchase a car before you took it out for a test drive. You can approach purchasing books the same way -- and save a lot of money. If you are going to read or reference a book again and again, then it is worth purchasing and adding to your home library. But if you'll never crack it open again after the first read, it probably is not worth purchasing. The library offers you a chance to test-read books before you purchase them. You should be able to get almost any book you want from your library. Even if your branch doesn't carry it, it can most likely be secured through the inter-library loan system, where libraries lend books to one another. This way you can see if the book is worth adding to your collection before spending money for it. If you live near a university or college, getting a membership to the campus library can have great benefits, especially if your local library system isn't up to par. While there will likely be a yearly fee, it will give you access to more scientific and specialty literature than may be available at your local library.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV