2005: Mark This 'Measure Move'
The editors asked me to throw together a brief look at how we're going to fare in 2005. Well, here's one for you: How about we reach the all-time highs by Dec. 31, 2005?
Sounds far-fetched? Pollyannaville? Maybe, but a simple chart of the Standard & Poor's Depositary Receipts (SPY) tells a very bullish story.
For ease of use, I employed an arithmetic chart rather than a log chart. With an arithmetic chart, the difference between the numbers on the X axis is the same number. With a log chart, it's the same percentage. Log charts are useful when you're trying to compare two different stocks. But when you're trying to figure out how far a stock might run, an arithmetic chart is best.
Before I get to the chart, though, it's helpful to understand the basic premise of "measure moves." Simply, that premise is that stocks (or indices) tend to move up a set amount, pause, and then, once they break out from the pause, move up by a similar set amount.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV